Q.

Period in the middle of my birth control pack- should I take the placebos or start a new pack?

I just started birth control (Sprintec) 2 weeks ago at the beginning of my period. I had heavy spotting and now my period a little over a week since my last period ended, 2 weeks into my pack. Is this ok? Should I continue taking the last week of active pills and skip the inactive week so I don't get my period again? 

Related Topics: Period, Birth Control, Spotting

A.

Some bleeding can occur while taking birth control pills.  You should definitely continue taking them and not the placebo.  If you have recently been prescribed an antibiotic, you should also use a different form of birth control while taking the antibiotic.  Antibiotics can often cause your birth control pills not to be effective and cause an unwanted pregnancy.  Bleeding while taking birth control, especially if you just started taking them recently is completely normal, it is called "break through bleeding" and can occur at all times during your cycle of taking your birth control pills but do not stop taking them, continue taking them as directed every day, preferably at the same time every day.