Q.

My husband has lost about 30 pounds in the last month. His feet are bad to. Could he have diabetes?

Related Topics: Diabetes, Foot

A.

Losing weight and having bad feet do not necessarily justify a diagnosis of Diabetes. Symptoms such as chronic intense thirst and frequent urination may be a cause of some concern and a visit to your Doctor may be in order. He may want to do some bloodwork and check your H1C to evaluate your blood sugar level. The H1C Test is a blood sugar average over the past 3 months.

Many people get Diabetes Type II because they are over-weight and their bodies can't produce enough Insulin. As a result, the sugar stays in the blood instead of migrating to the cells. You see, Insulin (produced in the Pancreas) is the Key to unlock the cells so that the sugar may enter. The symptoms I've described above are the precursors (and warning signs) of a possible Metabolic change going on inside the body.

The feet of a person with Diabetes need to be checked every day for cracks or pressure ulcers. These can lead to infections if not attended to immediately.

Clean the feet and apply lotion.

Eat right. That means a Balanced Diet. Do Not Overeat. Have 5 small meals over the course of the day (perhaps 3 small meals and 2 snacks).

Exercise 20 to 30 minutes per day. Ask your Doctor for the best type of exercise for your current body condition.

Enjoy Life and be Happy!