Q.

how concerned should I be about a blood sugar level of 335 about 2 hours after dinner?

I'm 57 yrs old, female, had gastric bypass 5 1/2 yrs ago, and have had pretty good control since, cutting back on my meds and getting regular exercise, but have slacked off and have eaten too much sweets lately. I've had what felt like a urinary tract infection, then a yeast infection the last several days. I took the meds for the infections and still felt genital discomfort, so I finally thought to check my blood sugar. I waited about 2 hours after dinner and got a 335. I don't check often

A.

What is most concerning is that you don't check your blood sugars often. It's possible that an infection could increase your sugars, but you need to stay on top of it. I suggest making an appointment with your doctor to get lab work done including an hemoglobin A1C. This will give you an idea of what your average blood sugars have been over the past few months. Then, you'll want to be more vigilant with diet and checking your blood sugar.

Anyone who has had gastric bypass should receive regular follow up (yearly) to deal with the challenges of maintaining weight loss and checking for deficiencies such as vitamin B12, iron and vitamin D. I would make an appointment with you gastric bypass doctor for follow up if you haven't already. Take care of yourself!