Q.

For the past week I watch my calorie intake and been going to the gym. I have gained 5lbs! Feeling unmotivated. Help!

Had gastric bypass 3 years ago. Lost 105lbs rapidly. Past year I put on almost 20lbs by not eating right again. Wanted to change that so I am watching what I eat by increasing my protein, got rid of my diet pop addiction, and my binge carb eating. My calorie intake is about 1000 -1100 a day (which is a lot for me considering) and I have been going to the gym for the past week for 1 -1.5 hour daily for cardio/strength training as well as home workouts. I have actually put on 5lbs in a week! Help!

A.
Good for you for taking control of the situation and heading to the gym! Taking that first step is always the hardest.

It's very frustrating when you don't see immediate results -- or, in fact, see results that are the opposite of what you expected.

What you need to realize is it's going to take some time for your body to adjust to this new exercise routine. One week is not enough time for your body to adapt. Right now, your body is kind of going "what the heck is this all about??" Once your body gets used to all this new activity, it will start behaving like a well-oiled machine. That's when you'll see the pounds start to come off.

Hang in there and be patient. There's no set timetable for how pounds come off. Also, be aware if you created a line graph of weight loss in most people, it would look like a gentle wave. Most people lose a little, gain a little back, lose a little more. This is perfectly normal.

Also, going from no exercise to 1.5 hours a day is a very abrupt change. You might want to check with your health care provider to make sure this is safe for you and your heart.

Wishing you all the best!