Q.

Why am I having stinky, white, thick vaginal discharge around the time of my period? Without any burning or itching?

I am taking an oral contraceptive, the generic form of seasonique. So I have a period every 3 months. After the first month, when I would normally have my period, I'm plagued with this horribly smelly thick white vaginal discharge, without any burning or itching. I talked to my doctor and she said it was my birth control and I need to start taking something else. Before I had this information I kept getting antiboitics and antifungals. Should I keep taking them for my problem until I swap bc? 

Internal Medicine and Endocrinology
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, American Diabetes Association,
A.

A thick white vaginal discharge without a smell is normal. Hormonal levels affect the amount and color of your vaginal discharge. Since birth control pills contain hormones it is natural that they will affect your vaginal discharge. Some birth control pills contain higher levels of estrogen and some are progesterone only without estrogen. If the discharge is bothersome it may be advisable to change to a different type of birth control.

The concern with your discharge is that it smells. This could be a sign of an infection.  You should see your gynecologist about your discharge and discuss whether it is a sign of infection and whether another birth control pill would be better for you. The estrogen in birth control pills lowers the acidity of secretions in your vagina and increases your risk of yeast infections.  A vaginal yeast infection usually causes a sore, itchy vagina with a thick, clumpy, white discharge that has no odor and looks a little like cottage cheese.

As long as a vaginal discharge is not associated with pain, itching, discoloration, or a bad odor it can be a positive effect. A vaginal discharge helps lubricate the vagina for intercourse. In women who are not on birth control, vaginal discharge can indicate whether or not ovulation is occurring.  During ovulation women have an abundant, clear, wet, and stretchy discharge. Many women compare the discharge at ovulation to raw egg whites.