Q.

I had ankle surgery 8 yrs ago--6 screws and a plate. Now I have swelling and pain. Why, after all this time?

Related Topics: Ankle, Surgery, Swelling, Pain

A.

I have the same issue happening to me right now.  I broke my leg, just above my ankle in 1999 and ever since I have had issues around the plate/screws site.  The doctor told me that what is most likely going on is over time, the screws begin to loosen and even if they loosen just the tiniest fraction it is enough to rub against soft tissue and cause irritation.  He told me the best way to take care of this is to have it taken out which for me, right now, is not an option....no insurance, no go.  So, when it flares up, I have to stay off my feet as best I can, ice it, elevate it and take an anti-inflammitory.  That is what he told me to do.