Q.

What causes my left arm to feel like there is a electical current going through it on occasion

My left arm has been tingleing then it will start to hurt this has been going on for about 6-8 weeks now then this morning I has my hand in my back pocket and it felt like a electrical current was going through it This happenend a few times this morning .What would cause this? I havent hurt my arm or nothing.Could it be nerve damage?

Related Topics: Arm, Hand, Nerve

A.
I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Usually, when someone describes pain or sensation as "electrical," we think it's nerve-related. The same is true for pain described as stinging, shocking, or burning.

If the sensation occurs all the way from the shoulder to the fingertips, then it's possible you're experiencing a spinal nerve compression at the neck. If the sensation is more from the elbow on down or something, then you may be experiencing irritation or compression of a nerve where it goes through a joint like the elbow.

You can find out for sure what's going on by making an appointment with your primary care provider. He or she can evaluate the situation and send you for tests or refer you to a specialist.

Hope this helps!