Q.

My Thyroid was removed and I am concerned about societal collapse. How would I sustitute Thyroid Hormone without RX?

Misdiagnosed with Thyroid Cancer and had Goiters. I take 175mcg's of Levothyroxine daily. If there are no Pharmacy's to fill RX, How would I survive. I have never distrusted our society before, but am now convinced it's a matter of economics and eventual collapse.

Related Topics: Goiter, Thyroid, Thyroid Cancer

A.
I love this question.

Admittedly, I don't share your belief that society will collapse and leave us without prescription medications. However, I am fascinated with the concepts of wilderness survival, and survival themes in general.

Luckily, do-it-yourself thyroid replacement is not impossible. It's not easy, but it's not impossible.

The original thyroid replacement hormone has been around for over a century. It consists of dessicated pig thyroid. You could make this yourself by harvesting the thyroid gland of a pig, slicing it thinly, then drying and crushing it into a powder.

Of course, there would be no good way to determine the dosage of homemade dessicated pig thyroid. You would simply have to monitor yourself for symptoms of high or low thyroid levels.

Strong disclaimer:
I am in no way suggesting anyone should attempt to make or use their own dessicated pig thyroid capsules. Doing so could cause injury or even death due to contamination, among other things. The information above is offered purely for entertainment and information purposes.

Good luck!