Q.

Are over the counter testosterone supplements effective?

I hear a lot of advertisements on the radio for over the counter male "enhancement" supplements that imply that they boost testosterone and sex drive, cut belly fat, etc. Are they effective? Is so-called low-T really at the epidemic levels that advertising suggests?

A.
Real testosterone supplements are a controlled substance that can only be obtained by prescription.

The so-called "male enhancement" products you hear advertised cannot, by law, contain testosterone or any other controlled substance. However, a number of these male enhancement pills have been recalled and confiscated over the past few years by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) because they contained illegal and unlabeled amounts of prescription drugs designed to treat erectile dysfunction.

This tells me that these supplements may not be safe to take. It may be difficult to tell exactly what's in them.

If you believe you have low testosterone or have male performance issues, I suggest you consult a medical professional. He or she will treat your concerns with sensitivity and dignity. Many of these problems can be effectively treated.

And, no: "low-T" is not an epidemic. Men naturally produce less testosterone as they age. For some men, this causes problem getting or sustaining an erection, loss of libido, and loss of energy. If you fall into this category, you certainly may want to seek treatment because testosterone therapy has been shown to improve these symptoms.

Best wishes to you!