Q.

WHAT WOULD CAUSE FATTY LIVER DISEASE IF YOU DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL AT ALL AND ARE NOT OBESE?

WOMAN, 73 YEARS OF AGE, NO DISEASES, CONDITIONS, OR PRESCIPTIONS.  GOOD HEALTH OTHER THAN THE FATTY LIVER.

A.
I'm sorry you've received this diagnosis. The good news is if you don't have symptoms (inflammation or known liver damage), the diagnosis of fatty liver may be of little consequence to your overall health.

There is a condition called Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) that can affect people with no risk factors for it (such as obesity). Scientists aren't sure yet what causes NAFLD, especially in the absence of risk factors. There's some thought a genetic component might be involved, but this hasn't been proven yet.

If you have concerns about how serious your fatty liver disease is, I'd suggest you consult your primary care provider for an explanation. He or she can give you good information about how, if at all, this disease may affect your daily life.

Hope this helps. I wish you all the best!