I have an ulcer on the side of my tongue. It's very sore. Is there a otc medication i can apply>

Related Topics: Ulcer, Tongue

Assuming you're not allergic to any medications, you probably could safely use any of the over-the-counter toothache gels on your tongue. This won't cure the ulcer but should relieve the pain.

However, before you begin self-treating, I'd suggest you consider what caused this ulcer. Do you smoke? If so, you should get this ulcer checked out because it could be an oral cancer.

Is the ulcer large and just appeared out of nowhere? That also might warrant checking out, just to make sure it's not some sort of infection.

In short, don't dismiss this ulcer as a mere annoyance. If it doesn't get better quickly (the tongue usually heals itself very rapidly), then I'd suggest you have a health care provider take a peek at it.

Hope this helps!