Q.

My brother have swollen glands all over his neck and jaw line for more than 1 and a half month now. What could it be?

He is having swollen glands all around his neck, even back side, around jaw line on his face. These are like swollen nodes. They are not pain full. Blood tests and benign tests were done and the reports showed "nothing to worry". After treatment for one month we noticed drastic reduction in the size of his swollen glands but again after two days all the glands were swollen again. It cant be mumps, as mumps doesn't last so long. What could be it then? His face is looking scary...

Related Topics: Mumps, Jaw, Neck, Blood Test, Benign

Medical Editor, WebMD
A.
Enlarged lymph nodes in the neck and jaw area can be caused by several conditions.  If lymph nodes persistently remain enlarged after several weeks doctors usually consider a work-up to help determine the cause. Work up can include physical exam, lab tests, x-rays, and sometimes biopsy of an abnormal lymph node.

Some infections that commonly cause enlarged lymph nodes are strep throat, mononucleosis, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis, tuberculosis, and HIV infection. There are many more  possible infectious causes.

Some cancers cause enlarged lymph nodes such as head and neck cancers and lymphoma.

There are several other medical conditions such as lupus, amyloidosis, and sarcoidosis that can cause lymph node enlargement.

Certain medications can lead lymph node enlargement as a side effect.

It is best for your brother to follow up with his doctor who can evaluate the need to do further work-up if lymph node enlargement persists.

Here is a link to an article about enlarged lymph nodes http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/swollen-lymph-nodes-topic-overview

Take Care

A.
I have the same symptoms and I am going on 3 weeks now. I have had countless tests, blood tests, CT scan and no doctor can figure out what it is. The swelling behind the neck is perplexing too. Did you ever resolve your brothers swollen neck problem? Do you have any information to share that may help me? Please share what you have learned, this swelling is diminishing my quality of life.