Q.

My son has had ringworm for 6 weeks, we are still using rx cream. school asked us to cover it. Is it okay to cover?

Related Topics: Ringworm

A.
I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this. Ringworm: BAH!

Yes, it's perfectly fine to cover ringworm. In fact, it will keep the fungus from spreading.

Just for the record, "ringworm" is a fungal infection of the skin. It is not caused by an actual "worm." Because ringworm spreads by skin-to-skin contact, you should keep the infected area covered to avoid spreading the fungus.

Because your son's ringworm has hung on for so long, I'd suggest going back to the pediatrician to see if there's another treatment that might be appropriate to eradicate the fungus. Six weeks is a long time to battle ringworm.

Wishing you and your son all the best!

A.
6 weeks is a long time to have ringworm!  I am a wrestling coach and have to battle this often.  I have found a product called Dermariche Anti-Fungal I works amazing clearing up the most severe cases in less then a week!  Yes I would cover it that way it doesn't spread!  good luck 

A.

Thanks so much. We are waiting on the Dr. to call us back. Originally his pediatrician said not to cover, that by covering it could build moisture and make a breeding ground for more fungus. They said there was no reason to have to cover, that after 24 hours of using cream it was no longer contagious. He has been going to school with it uncovered for a month, and they just now are telling us to cover it.