Q.

will an umbilical hernia heal itself?

I have a small umbilical hernia (self-diagnosed). I can feel a small bulge right near my belly button. Will this ever heal itself, for example if I strengthen my ab muscles?

No pain, just a little bulge. How worried should I be about this?

A.
The short answer is: No.

A hernia, by definition, is an opening in the muscles that allows other tissue (often the intestinal wall) to protrude. This opening or tear in the muscle will not heal itself. In fact, attempting to strengthen the abdominal muscles could backfire and make the hernia worse.

An umbilical hernia is not uncommon, even in an adult. However, it's worth getting an accurate diagnosis from a health care provider. Your provider also can tell you whether or not you'd benefit from a surgical repair of the hernia or not.

Hope this helps!