Q.

Is ear stretching safe?

My mother wants me to do research on ear stretching, because i wanted to start and she isn't convinced its safe. I would like a professionals perspective on what is safe, and if my ears will be able to shrink back to a normal sized piercing. 

Related Topics: Ears, Piercing

A.
Once you stretch or gauge your ears, it will be permanent. It will not shrink back. You will either have to keep the stretched ear for life and hope that it will be fashionable when you are an adult, or pay to have a plastic surgeon fix the deformity.

I don't know if you are male or female, but an 18 patient of mine who gauged his ears a few years ago, decided to join the Marines. The Marines would not take him until he had his ears cosmetically repaired. He paid to have it done and now he serves our country.

It is technically "safe" do this as long as you do not get an infection until it heals, but something that looks cool when you are young, doesn't look as cool when you are a working professional.

A.
Rod is wrong. It is not always safe, you have to wait at a minimum of two weeks before gauging up or you can blow out your ears (break the hole). He is also wrong about the fact that they will heal up, depending on the size you have gauged to. A size 0 or bigger guarantees permanence, smaller sizes do heal with time especially if you are young. Also, be sure to clean new products as sometimes you will bleed, but if done right and slow you won't have that problem. I have 1/2 inch holes and many times I wear flower gauges that cover it and no one even notices. I think it's beautiful but to each his own. 

Next Question:

Got Your WebMD Answer?

Next Steps: