Q.

Can Vitamin E supplementation cause hemorrhagic strokes?

Related Topics: Stroke, Vitamin E

A.
Well, that's an interesting question.

Vitamin E does possess some anti-clotting properties. Some research does suggest that taking high doses of Vitamin E (and I'm referring here to Vitamin E supplements) can indeed contribute to hemorrhagic stroke. However, the amount of Vitamin E required to cause bleeding in the brain is not well-established and could be influenced by many factors, including the individual's age and overall cardiac health.

Keep in mind, also, that taking other anticoagulants in conjunction with Vitamin E could increase the risk of bleeding, in general. For example, combining Vitamin E with a daily aspirin, fish oil supplements, krill oil supplements, or prescription blood thinners like warfarin (Coumadin) is inadvisable.

It is my opinion that individuals should not put themselves on anticoagulant therapy. Many people have heard that taking a baby aspirin every day is good for heart health, for example. This may or may not be true. It would be better to consult a medical professional to find out if this type of therapy (or Vitamin E or whatever) is right for you or not.

I hope this helps!