Q.

For the last two days I keep smelling bleach everywhere at odd times, Is this a sympton I should be concerned about?

For the last two days I keep smelling bleach everywhere at odd times, even though I don't even keep bleach products in the house.  I have been very stressed with a disrupted sleep cycle. Is this a sympton of something I should be concerned about?

Related Topics: Stress, Smell

A.
You may be surprised to learn this absolutely is a symptom you should get checked out. I'd suggest you call as soon as possible for an appointment with your primary care provider.

Phantom smells (or, medically speaking, phantosmia) can be caused by a variety of conditions, from a relatively simple upper respiratory infection to something serious like a brain tumor. The latter is relatively rare, but you'd still want to get it ruled out.

So, while your phantosmia may not warrant a trip to the emergency room, it definitely merits a quick trip to the doctor.

Hope this helps!