Q.

I have a itchy rash that comes and goes, what could be causing this?

the rash appears in different areas of my body, for an example, a rash showed up on my wrist and stayed a while and went away.  Later the same day it appeared on my stomach and then on my thighs,etc.  its itchy while it is present.  at one point my hands first turned red and then start to itch really bad to the point I had to wash my hands repeatedly.  I work in the medical field so i wash my hands a million times a day. What could be causing this reaction?

Related Topics: Hand, Thigh, Wrist, Rash, Reaction

Internal Medicine and Endocrinology
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, American Diabetes Association,
A.

A persistent rash needs to be evaluated by your general doctor or a dermatologist, a skin doctor.

Hives (urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of the skin that can range in size and appear anywhere on your body. The cause of the hives can be drugs, foods, stress, and is unknown in many cases. The fact that the rash appears anywhere on your body suggests this diagnosis. Hives are an allergic reaction and those with asthma and allergies are more prone.  If the cause of your hives can be identified, you should avoid that trigger. Some drugs and foods take days to leave the body, so your doctor may prescribe antihistamines in the meantime to relieve your symptoms.

Contact dermatitis is another possible explanation for your rash. This rash occurs when certain substances come into contact with your skin. Contact dermatitis causes a localized rash on the skin which may be red, sore, itchy, and have bumps or blisters.  There are two kinds of contact dermatitis: irritant or allergic. 

Irritant contact dermatitis is more often painful than itchy, and is caused by a substance damaging the part of your skin where it comes into contact. Contact with acids, soaps, detergents, fabric softeners, or other chemicals may cause irritant contact dermatitis. The reaction often occurs on the hands and is frequently work-related. 

Allergic contact dermatitis is caused by exposure to a substance or material to which you have become extra sensitive or allergic. Common causes include fabrics, clothing, soaps, and nail polish. Rubber gloves are one of the most frequent causes of occupational allergic contact dermatitis, especially in health care workers. 

Seeking professional help from your doctor is the safest way to determine what is causing your rash. 

A.
Did you ever figure it out? I am a RN and am having the same problem... doctors tell me to take Benadryl (which makes it difficult to work efficiently as I am exhausted when taking this medication).  I have not yet seen a dermatologist but would like to know what you found out....

A.
I'm having similar if not exactly the same symptoms.

- Small (typically like an inch to 3 inches) red area appears on my skin.
- It's really itchy
- It disappears in a couple minutes
- It appears randomly (arm, leg, back, chest, head)
- Sometimes it's in multiple locations at once (but not too many 1 to 3)

I've Google'd the heck out of this and find nothing that matches exactly. I keep finding threads like this where someone has these symptoms but then you never get a real answer. Hopefully the people posting these problems are ok and have found a solution. I know many people would be grateful if you returned to these forums and posted what you've discovered. 

I've had this for about 2 weeks. And this week was extremely bad. Super itchy, can't sleep, can't concentrate, can't find answers. It's rough. 

I did find 2 odd things that have helped. 

1) Hydrogen Peroxide. It makes no sense. But 2 days ago my back was itchy. I tried to ignore it but eventually my entire back was red, felt like sunburn and bee stings. I was really hurting (it was like all these little symptoms culminated into a massive inflammation on my back). I didn't know what to do. I went to the bathroom and just poured some hydrogen peroxide down my back and it almost immediately made it feel better. It also made the red go away in the spots where it poured over. So, I have no idea why that worked but it did. But note: be careful w Hydrogen Peroxide. Don't leave it on your skin for too long. Read the label. Also, I don't really recommend this as a solution - it's just odd that it had this effect. Maybe it's a clue.

2) Aquaphor. This is the stuff. It's saving my life right now. I put that on and I'm better. Like healed. No itching. No red spots. It's magic. But it's not solving the underlying cause (which remains unknown). And if I don't use Aquaphor it comes back. 

Also, today I had an appointment w a dermatologist. I was so hopeful to finally talk to a professional. But he was just mean and belittling. I almost walked out of the office on him. I should have looking back on it. But I wanted help so bad.

Because I had used the aquaphor the night before, and because these symtoms come and go, he couldn't see anything much and didn't want to help me. He said I had nothing he could diagnose. I showed him pictures I had on my phone. And he said it looks like I scratched those areas. I started to have an itch on my wrist during the appointment and I showed him and he said it wasn't red enough to diagnose. He suggested it was psychosomatic. It's not. I'm not even the type of person that likes going to the doctor. I usually wait until I end up forced to the ER. I'll ignore any ignorable symptom I can. I'm that guy. So this isn't a case of something in my head. Plus I have pictures! Anyway, enough about the crappy dermatologist. 

If anyone knows what this is please reply. If I find out I will come back here and let everyone know. This is "condition" or whatever it is is making life really really hard to cope with. Also, I'm looking for a better doctor.

A.
I also have this problem...n can't figure it out...I take Zyrtec every couple days..that helps..then a day or two later its back..not know what n why bothers me as much as the itching...hope someone figures it out