My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

When I move my jaw, I hear a deflating noise in my right ear

It has been persisting for about a day and a half.  It only happens when I move my jaw to the side or am chewing something.

Related Topics: Ears, Jaw, Movement

Answers from Contributors (1)

12 Answers
775 Helpful Votes
There is a tube that connects the middle ear to your throat called the Eustachian tube.  This tube helps to equalize pressure on both sides of the ear.  Since the eardrum is a solid membrane and there is empty space behind the eardrum, there has to be a way to equalize the pressure or the eardrum would rupture due to the pressure.  What your hearing is that pressure equalizing.
The reason it only happens when you move your jaw or chew is because your Eustachian tube is inflamed meaning that with your jaw in normal position, the air isn't able to pass through and equalize the pressure.  Things that can cause inflammation include current or recent head cold, sinus infection, and very commonly, allergies.   Go to your Dr, steroid nasal sprays work very well in reducing inflammation in that tube and will alleviate your problem.  As the inflammation gets worse you will start to notice your ears popping and a lot of pressure and eventually pain.   So get it taken care of now before it gets to that point. 

Hope this helps : )

The opinions expressed here are solely those of the User.down arrowThe opinions expressed here are solely those of the User.
User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice. Please see the
bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

173 of 206 found this helpful