Q.

Is a Hematocrit level of 7.6 low enough to cause symptoms of shortness of breath and extreme fatigue?

Related Topics: Fatigue

A.
I think you mean HEMOGLOBIN, not hemocrit, since a level of 7.6 would be extremely low -- almost incompatible with life.  A hemoglobin of this level indicates severe anemia, and yes, symptoms of shortness of breath and fatigue could be two symptoms that this person could experience.

A blood level this low requires a thorough medical examination to determine the reason.

A.
I am a patient in Honduras:  In my case after Hemograms, Ultrasound, BoneMarrow biopsia I was diagnosed Myelofibrosis Idiopatic, my HB level has been 5.7. Dr is Hematologist and put one blood transfusion, HB went up to 7.5 but after a month went back to 5 again. For more than a year Dr gave Danazol 600mg/day and 7.5 prednisone every other day: No improvement. Dr added Erithropoyetin shots 10K U once a week. Tomorrow is my fifth shot. Feel no real improvement: tired, heart palpitations and short breath. Ultrasound showed the spleen a bit enlarged and it feels a bit bulky also. What other tests should be done? Do you think could it be an internal hemorrage not detected...?