Health & Sex

Q.

My boyfriend has a severe bladder infection... Did he get it from having sexual intercourse w/a female?

My boyfriend is circumcised. He has puss constantly seeping from his penis. He went to ER and they tested his urine and the diagnosis was a bladder infection. The physician told him its more like an std because he got it from having sexual intercourse with a female...

A.

Urinary tract infections in men are very rare. STDs in men are unfortunately, not rare.

A urinary tract infection (UTI) does NOT cause puss to be seeping from his penis. This is most likely to be gonorrhea, or the very least, Chlamydia. Occasionally, a man can have a penile discharge from prostatitis. Tests for Chlamydia and gonorrhea can take a few days (assuming the ER ordered them, which I hope they did). At first, the urine can look like an UTI, but my skeptical eyebrows are definitely high. I would suspect and STD until otherwise proven by a lab test.

If your boyfriend is, or may be, having unprotected sex with others, then YOU need to go and be tested. A simple urine test will determine if YOU have an STD.

No sex, or sex only with condoms until you get some definitive answers.

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
  • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
  • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

couple not communicating
How to tell when you're in one.
couple face to face
Get your love life back on track.

couple having an argument
Turn spats into solutions
couple in argument
When to call it quits.

Life Cycle of a Penis
Article
HIV Myth Facts
Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
Quiz
Couple in bed
Video

6 Tips For Teens
Article
Close-up of young man
Article

screening tests for men
Slideshow
HPV Vaccine Future
Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe online privacy certification HONcode Seal AdChoices