Q.

Can you have both a sinus infection and strep throat?

My doctor told me I have a severe sinus infection but could also have strep but since he treated the infection with antibotics he said there was no reason to check for strep as the treatment for strep is the same.  I have a severe sore throat, have a hard time swallowing, have a red rash on the back of my throat, and I  have a fever. Is it possible to have both at the same time? My sinus' were draining down the back of my throat and I didn't know it until 4 days after my sore throat started.

Related Topics: Sinus, Throat, Fever, Rash, Antibiotic

A.
It's entirely possible to have multiple infections at the same time but your doctor is right, antibiotics should clear any bacterial infections right up. The sore throat is likely being caused by post nasal drip from your sinus infection. If it's strep, you should see small white patches on your tonsils and it's extremely painful. If after you finish your round of antibiotics, you still have a serious sore throat then you should go back to the doctor for more tests. Good luck!