Q.

Shingles - I had shingles several years ago; Would the vaccination help me in the future?

Related Topics: Shingles, Vaccination

A.
Yes, it certainly might.

Shingles can afflict anyone, but it's most common in people over the age of 50. The shingles vaccine is approved for anyone over age 50, and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends everyone over age 60 receive a single dose of the the vaccine.

Even if you've had an outbreak of shingles in the past, you still may benefit from the vaccine. The shingles vaccine has been shown to reduce the risk of developing shingles by about 50%, and it also may shorten the duration of nerve pain due to an outbreak.

If you have a weakened immune system or are allergic to any of the components of the vaccine, you should not get vaccinated.

I'd suggest you speak with your health care provider about whether or not it would benefit you to receive the shingles vaccine.

Hope this helps!

Family Medicine
A.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all adults age 60 and older should get the shingles vaccine, even if they have had shingles in the past. There is a small risk that you can get shingles again and the vaccine can decrease this risk even further. Any reaction to the vaccine is generally mild.  This may include soreness, redness, itching or swelling where the shot was given. Some people report a headache or a slight rash around the site of the injection. There are some people who should not get the shingles vaccine. This includes those who are allergic to gelatin, neomycin, or any other components of the vaccine. People with a weakened immune system or who are pregnant should also not get the vaccine. Your doctor can go over your specific risks and benefits to see if the vaccine is right for you. For more information about the shingles vaccine check out the following article in WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-vaccine