Q.

im 314lbs and trying to lose weight. I cant excercise 2 min before Im gasping for air. How can I get a work out in?

Related Topics: Exercise

A.
First, congratulations on taking this important first step in reducing your weight to a healthy level! I salute you.

Second, be sure you've received the OK from your health care provider to undertake a diet and exercise program. If your doctor has cleared you to exercise, then your shortness of breath may be normal simply due to your current size.

Don't let this discourage you. It may not be realistic for you to expect to perform, say, 20 minutes of aerobic activity at this point. That time will come. Right now, 2 minutes might actually be more realistic for you. I'd suggest you start with simply walking. If you can manage to walk for 2 minutes 10 times a day, there's your 20 minutes. Do that every day, and you'll gradually build up stamina.

If you've been watching one of those television shows where 300+ pound people engage in vigorous workouts and lose dramatic amounts of weight quickly, I'd suggest you stop watching. In my opinion, those programs do not depict a realistic vision of exercise for people who weigh over 300 pounds. The workouts shown on those programs are closely monitored by an entire medical team and can be dangerous for the average, unsupervised exerciser.

Again, I can't stress how much I admire you for your determination. Try checking out WebMD's Diet Community for support and access to experts who can help you on your journey.

Be patient. It may take you quite some time to lose all the weight you want to lose. Remember to set intermediate goals and rewards along the way to stay motivated.

Best wishes to you!

Fitness
Health Coach, WebMD
A.

Don’t give up! Although you may not be able to exercise for long now, you should expect to see less shortness of breath and better cardiovascular endurance the longer you stay consistent with your exercise routine.

Be sure that you’re not trying to do too much with your exercise. It may be best to start out with a low intensity level of exercise and expanding upon it as tolerated. It may not seem like a lot at first, but you can slowly and gradually build up the duration and intensity of your exercise the more that you are able to adhere to it. 

Remember, your exercise doesn’t have to be done all in one session. Divide it up and takes breaks to rest and recover if you need to and then pick it back up later. You may be able to continually shorten the amount of rest that you take in between sessions to eventually spend more time in a single session. 

Also, try building in more opportunities to incorporate more physically activity within your daily routine. Try taking the stairs instead of the elevator or park further away. Making a habit out of incorporating small opportunities like these can ultimately lead to becoming better conditioned for exercise. 

If exercise remains to be too difficult, I’d still encourage you to continue to do what you can, but I’d suggest placing more of an emphasis on your nutrition to lose enough weight until you’re at the point that you can exercise more comfortably.

Keep up the great work! Remember to always consult your doctor before beginning an exercise routine or weight loss plan. 

A.
Congrats on this big step in life! You can do it! However to safely do it I would go to your local ymca and have a professional check you out( your heart rate ect...) They will put you on a plan that fits you!!

A.

Please keep one thing in mind...you did not gain the weight over a few months so don't expect it to magically fall off in a few months; THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS, just dedication and the will power you will need to get your butt off the couch and head outside (or treadmill) and walk everyday.  At first just do what you can but make a training schedule and follow it - you are accountable to no one but yourself so don't let yourself down!

I will not do you any favors by lying to you or telling you loosing weight is easy... as you know, it is not. It is a long hard journey to loose the weight, but if your mindset is right and your willpower is strong (do it for no one but yourself).  Then you are on your way to a successful weight loss journey!  Good luck!

btw...before putting something in your mouth, ask yourself if you are really hungry, if you are not - ask yourself why you are eating.