Q.

is it safe to take ibuprofen with vicodin? Or is Tylenol safer?

Related Topics: Ibuprofen

A.
Please do not take Tylenol (acetaminophen) with Vicodin (hydrocodone-APAP), because Vicodin contains Tylenol already. It is very easy to exceed the maximum daily limit of acetaminophen by combining these two drugs. And high doses of acetaminophen may lead to liver damage.

If the hydrocodone isn't controlling your pain, I'd suggest you speak with your health care provider. From a pharmacology standpoint, there's no harm in combining ibuprofen with hydrocodone, but ibuprofen is a blood thinner. So if you're taking hydrocodone to control post-surgical pain, for example, your doctor may not want you taking a blood thinner like ibuprofen. Also, your health care provider may not want you taking ibuprofen based on other medications you currently take, your past medical history, and many other factors.

So, in a nutshell, I'd suggest you simply put a call in to your provider for guidance on what medications are safe for you to take for pain control.

Wishing you all the best!