Q.

Is there any diet that can help improve or reverse hypothyroidism?

Related Topics: Hypothyroidism, Diet

A.

The main treatment for hypothyroid is thyroid hormone pills.  Excessive intake of certain foods may decrease thyroid function including cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, kale), asparagus, peaches, peanuts, peas, soybeans, spinach, strawberries and radishes.  Being consistent with fiber intake instead of consuming a lot at one sitting can help, as too much can reduce the absorption of thyroid medication.  Lastly it is recommended not to take thyroid medication on an empty stomach and not the same time as other supplements, especially calcium and iron.

A.
A.

The instructions for taking Synthroid specifically state to take on an empty stomach and to take at the same time each day.  I have been doing research myself concerning this matter since I am hypo and frustrated with the excessive lbs. whole wheat bread, Fish and eggs are helpful with this condition. I find that eating more vegetables helps to give me energy. Parfaits seem to give me a boost. let me mention that these are things I am training my body to adapt to help the metabolism with this condition. Exercising is a great option but let's be realistic some of us work crazy hours, come home to children, pets, significant others,school so that can be a bit complicated. My ideas aren't much but I hope you find what works best for you.

A.
corazondel
Anything with whole wheat in it is the worse thing you can eat because of the gluten, it kills the thyroid.  The best is completely gluten free.  There are so many websites about this.