Q.

Is it possible to "alkalize" your body by drinking lemon juice in water? Is trying to alkalize your body beneficial?

I am a cancer survivor who has run across the notion several times that we should try to maintain our bodies in an alkaline state to help prevent recurrence. This is counter to everything I know about our digestive system.  Is it even possible to change one's pH balance to alkaline, especially by drinking highly acidic citrus and other juices?

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

I do not see how drinking something acidic (lemon juice is citric ACID) will make your body alkaline. Doesn't make sense.

I have never heard that having an alkaline body (alkalosis) would prevent a cancer reoccurrence. Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me. I am not sure where you read this or the credentials of who is recommending it, but I think this notion lacks scientific validity.

Our body works very hard to maintain a properly pH balance. Drink lemon juice in water (lemonade!) if you want or if you like it. The vitamin C will be nice, but don't expect it to make your body alkaline.

A.

Dr Moser is incorrect. Lemon and lime juices are absolutely alkalizing to the body. This is not to say they are alkaline in nature, because the are obviously acidic. But the way the body metabolizes the juice produces an alkalizing effect. Here is a video that might help explain it better:

youtube.com/watch?v=WndFDIa6a0s&feature=player_embedded#!

There are many licensed dietitians and nutritionist who have written of this fact. Do yourself a favor and research it at length. Most doctors are not aware of the chemistry involved (NOTE: the average MD has fewer than 8 hours of preventative medicine education - many have none whatsoever).

A.
An answer I found elsewhere:  Lemon, lime, apple cider vinegar and tomato are highly acidic. Strong acids bring the pH of a solution waaay down, even in small amounts. Also, your blood has a "buffer" system to neutralize acids, keeping your blood pH relatively stable, regardless of what you eat. It seems to me that this alkaline cooking fad has no scientific basis, or at least led by? misguided science. I really dislike throwing around scientific words when you don't know what you are talking about.

A.

According to a studies evaluated in the Journal of Environmental and Public Health on the Alkaline Diet, it IS possible to alkalize your body through diet.  See the article here --http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/

One of the studies looked at alkaline supplementation using potassium bicarbonate, which was effective.  

Similarly, I have personally used baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to alleviate the symptoms of lactic acid buildup from high intensity training (leg day).  It works rather rapidly to neutralize blood acidity and removes the feelings of nausea.  

None of the studies references examined lemon juice.

The Alkaline Diet is primarily an overhyped vegan diet.  Meat is not evil, nor bad for you.  However, eating multiple daily servings of leafy green, onions, and cruciferous vegetables is enough to raise and maintain a higher blood pH in a healthy way.  In addition, they are an excellent source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

By the way, the temporary lower blood pH caused by resistance exercise is good for you, as it causes the secretion of Growth Hormone and causes fat loss.