Q.

Is it possible to "alkalize" your body by drinking lemon juice in water? Is trying to alkalize your body beneficial?

I am a cancer survivor who has run across the notion several times that we should try to maintain our bodies in an alkaline state to help prevent recurrence. This is counter to everything I know about our digestive system.  Is it even possible to change one's pH balance to alkaline, especially by drinking highly acidic citrus and other juices?

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

I do not see how drinking something acidic (lemon juice is citric ACID) will make your body alkaline. Doesn't make sense.

I have never heard that having an alkaline body (alkalosis) would prevent a cancer reoccurrence. Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me. I am not sure where you read this or the credentials of who is recommending it, but I think this notion lacks scientific validity.

Our body works very hard to maintain a properly pH balance. Drink lemon juice in water (lemonade!) if you want or if you like it. The vitamin C will be nice, but don't expect it to make your body alkaline.

A.

Dr Moser is incorrect. Lemon and lime juices are absolutely alkalizing to the body. This is not to say they are alkaline in nature, because the are obviously acidic. But the way the body metabolizes the juice produces an alkalizing effect. Here is a video that might help explain it better:

youtube.com/watch?v=WndFDIa6a0s&feature=player_embedded#!

There are many licensed dietitians and nutritionist who have written of this fact. Do yourself a favor and research it at length. Most doctors are not aware of the chemistry involved (NOTE: the average MD has fewer than 8 hours of preventative medicine education - many have none whatsoever).

A.
An answer I found elsewhere:  Lemon, lime, apple cider vinegar and tomato are highly acidic. Strong acids bring the pH of a solution waaay down, even in small amounts. Also, your blood has a "buffer" system to neutralize acids, keeping your blood pH relatively stable, regardless of what you eat. It seems to me that this alkaline cooking fad has no scientific basis, or at least led by? misguided science. I really dislike throwing around scientific words when you don't know what you are talking about.