Q.

What are the effects of lack of sex?

Is sex deprivation documented to cause any harm. I am a 41 male suffering from depression, anxiety, OCD, and panic attacks. I have extremely strong sexual urges, but I have been suppressing them, and I wonder if this could contribute to or exaggerate my depressive suffering.

Could you please recommend other sources to learn more about this, or any website which offer help to the likes of me. I have been jobless for a long time, and can't afford expensive therapy, so any free help will be great.
Related Topics: Anxiety, Depression, Panic Attack

A.

I do not believe that sex deprivation causes harm. Countless people on this planet are celebate, like priests or nuns, and are quite well-adjusted.

Humans have many biological urges. If a person cuts you off in traffic, you may want to cause him harm, but you do not. As a child in a candy store, you may have the urge to steal candy, but you don't. You have strong sexual urges and you may be having difficulty dealing with them. Because you also have depression, anxiety, OCD, and panic attacks, all of these feelings may be overwhelming you. Yes, you do need some help.

I am sorry but I am not aware of any web sites that deal with sexual deprivation, but this would not be the way to go for you. I do not know if you are a religious man, but you may be able to find help through a church or church-sponsored organization. Many communities have community mental health facilities that can provide some immediate and long-term care for you, perhaps in the way of medications or counseling. Rather than spend time on the Internet searching for sites that deal with sexual deprivation, devote this time to help yourself find the proper care in your area. I am confident that you will find help.

A.

There has not been, to my knowledge, any studies showing that sexual deprivation causes any harm. I am a 59yr old male with depression, anxiety, paruresis, OCD, & eating disorders ( OCD stopped when I began to take antidepressants, clean from eating disorders for some five yrs). Also, the medications I take greatly lessen my sexual impulses (which I don't mind since I never acted on them).

The main problem is to focus on the problems which are definitely affecting your quality of life, such as the depression & anxiety. These may be a major reason why you have trouble keeping a job.

Contact your local federal office to see if you qualify for SSI and medical aid so you can see a qualified therapist and psychologist to get help for your emotional problems. These doctors should also be able to help you with your sexual worries.

I wish you all the best my friend.