Q.

CAN 1 TEASPOON OF VINEGAR AND 1 TABLESPOON OF HONEY REDUCE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL ON A DAILT BASIS?

Related Topics: Blood Sugar, Honey, Vinegar

A.

There is some research that apple cider vinegar may help with blood sugar control. One study discussed in this WebMD article, showed that taking 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed, decreased blood sugar levels in the morning by 4-6%. A 2004 study in Diabetes Care had subjects drinking a vinegar drink (apple cider vinegar, water and non-caloric sweetener) or placebo and those who drank the vinegar drink had increased insulin sensitivity following the meal, decreasing post-meal blood sugar. I could not find any evidence that adding honey helps.

Although there is some evidence to support a helpful role of vinegar, the research is inconclusive and is not recommended by health organizations like the American Diabetes Association. What is more important for long-term  health and blood sugar control, is controlling carbs, eating healthfully and staying active.  And adding some vinegar to your salad might help.