Q.

Can macular degeneration cause pain?

My mother in law has pain in the ritgh eye than spikes  to acute and goes down to  mild.The pain comes and goes it usually the "ttacks does not last long . She thinks in could be macular generation, because she was test for glaucoma and was negative. At gross examination she has, the inside of the lids brigh red, the sclera is white.She is in a lot of pain severall times a day.

A.
I'm sorry to hear your mother-in-law is going through this, but I'm glad she had glaucoma ruled out.

Severe eye pain should not be ignored. Eye pain generally is not a symptom of age-related macular degeneration.

I'd suggest your mother-in-law make an appointment to see an ophthalmologist (as distinct from an optometrist) to have this evaluated. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor (MD) who is specially trained to deal with high-level eye problems, such as trauma, glaucoma, and other serious eye diseases.

I wish you both all the best!