Q.

how long should you wear compression stockings after hip replacement surgery

Related Topics: Surgery

A.
That's a great question for your doctor. I'd say to wear them until your doctor tells you it's OK to stop.

Compression stockings are worn after procedures like hip replacement to help reduce the chance of a blood clot (deep vein thrombosis or DVT). DVTs may not occur until a couple of weeks post-surgery, so you should wear the hose at least that long.

If you have any fluid buildup in your legs, you also need to keep wearing the compression stockings. Fluid buildup can be a sign of poor circulation, which, again, can lead to the development of a DVT.

So, in a nutshell, seek your surgeon's advice as to when you can stop wearing the stockings. And don't stop too soon!

All the best to you!