What could the black grainy substance in my grandmother's poop be?

If your grandmother's stool has a coffee grounds appearance to it, please get her immediate medical treatment. This can be a sign of internal bleeding, such as from a stomach ulcer or an ulcer of the intestines. Internal bleeding in anyone is a concern, but it's of great concern in the elderly. (Of course, your grandmother may only be 40 years old for all I know!)

Other possible signs of internal bleeding include: :
  • Vomit that looks like coffee grounds
  • Paleness
  • Lethargy (lack of energy to move around)
  • Confusion
  • Slurred speech
  • Blue lips or nail beds of the fingers or toes

If your grandmother is reluctant to go to the emergency room, please try to persuade her. But if all else fails, simply call 911. The paramedics may be able to convince her or offer more insight into her situation.

If possible, take some photos of the stool that looks grainy and black. This will be helpful to first responders and medical providers.

I wish you both the best!

Next Question: