Q.

The gums by my wisdom tooth are swollen and in pain. I'm dizzy and nauseous. What might be wrong, should I see a doctor?

My wisdom tooth is just in the process of erupting and the dreaded flap of tissue is still there. I believe there might be a infection from bacteria getting caught under that flap of tissue. I'm experiencing nausea, ear pain, swelling, redness, pain around the area of the tooth, and very bad dizziness. What could be wrong? Should I see a doctor now, or try and see if it gets better?

Related Topics: Ears, Tooth, Nausea, Dizziness, Wisdom Tooth

A.
Rather than a doctor, I'd recommend you try a dentist. While emergency rooms generally will treat a dental problem, most doctors defer to dentists for all things tooth-related. And your issues sound tooth-related.

If there is an infection developing, your dentist either will treat it or will refer you for medical treatment. It's possible for a dental infection to cause ear pain, facial swelling, and the other symptoms you describe.

So...off to the emergency dental center for you! Or call your regular dentist, explain the situation, and try to get in today. If they can't see you, ask them to recommend an alternative provider. Dental infections are nothing to mess around with.

Feel better soon!