Q.

Which vitamin supplement helps raise blood platelets

count is 130,000

Related Topics: Vitamin, Supplement

A.

It's most important for you to do is understand what is causing low blood platelets (called thrombocytopenia).  There are different causes discussed in this WebMD article.  Vitamin B12 and folic acid can help if the thrombocytopenia is specifically caused by low levels of those vitamins.  I cannot find any research that shows taking certain taking vitamins will help to raise blood platelets.  The best thing to do is work with your healthcare provider about tackling the cause of your condition.  Good luck!

A.

Platelets are cells that are vital to your blood's ability to clot. When a low platelet countproblem arises, a variety of vitamin supplements can help prevent and treat this condition such as:

Vitamin C, known as ascorbic acid, is involved in the production and maintenance of your body's tissues.

Vitamin D supplements can be effective to increase low platelet count.

While vitamin K may not directly influence your platelet count, it is essential to your blood's ability to clot.

Try to eat fresh fruits and vegetables products like Sheffafoods company product that mainly consist of vitamins like Berries, green leafy vegetables, oranges, tomatoes and kiwis – these will help you increase the platelet count.

http://www.sheffafoods.com/

A.

With all due respect, 130K isn't bad. It may be perfectly normal for you. I live with platelets at 19k which slip down to 1k when I get sick. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about 130k. If you stay at that count, you are indeed blessed and can live a perfectly normal life, including sky-diving!

Be sure you have enough vitamin K (for clotting) and are eating healthy so your body has what it needs to make all it's hormones and the ability to heal. However vitamin K is fat soluble which means you can take too much. It doesn't pee out, so only take the recommended dose. You will read all kinds of people saying that "this food" raised my platelets, or "eat that", but really...if ITP is caused by a virus (very probable), then eating Oreos (Yes, this was one 'cure') won't help.

There are various reasons for thrombocytopenia. Most cases are called ITP. The I stands for idiopathic which means "yeah...we have no idea what causes this, why you have it or how to cure it". Just think...."idiots" (even though most docs are brilliant people who really do have our best interest at heart).

Depending on your symptoms, I can tell you from experience, that you shouldn't need to take any meds until you get below 20k. I, personally, am not taking any meds now at 19k and I ride horses daily and show in competitive dressage, but I have no symptoms, no bleeding or bruising issues. Even when I got down to 1k, I still never had any symptoms.

If you are below 40k and need surgery, you may need to take prednisone or dexamethasone to raise your platelets for a few weeks to heal faster. I could get into why, but I doubt it will apply to this situation.

Also, NEVER let anyone take your spleen out. This was an old "treatment" that doesn't work (check the efficacy reports) but is still taught in some med schools. I had my spleen removed way back when I was diagnosed (24 years ago), however, 6 years post surgery my platelets went back to the level where they were originally, but now I didn't have the ability to try all the new advanced meds which you need a spleen to take. I saw one of our top ITP specialists In NYC, Dr. Bussel, who was also disappointed to find my spleen was gone. Look him up. He's doing most of the research in this field.

Sorry for the long answer, but I wanted to also share warnings. I also recognize that I don't know all the facts surrounding your condition. So please pardon my many assumptions.