Q.

I'm not sure if I ever had chicken pox as a child and am very concerned whether I should get the preventive shot.

I have been battling Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 12, I'm now 54 With all the medications I've taken over the years, I have a very compromised immune system. I have also had a gastric bypass and two knee replacements. Thus I am very concerned.

Medical Editor, WebMD
A.

A blood test can check for antibodies to the chickenpox virus (varicella virus). The presence of antibodies means you've had chickenpox or have been vaccinated for chickenpox in the past.