Q.

My husband has had a fever and a cough for over 10days now. Not pneumonia (had xray 4 days ago) what could it be?

His fever ranges between 100-103. He is coughing up lots of mucous but doesn't feel any sinus congestion (no runny nose). He has been on an antibiotic for 5days now. He says it is helping a little but it's not taking care of the fever or cough just making the mucous less green. He had a chest x-ray 5days ago but it didn't show pnumonia should he be x-rayed again? He is also very pale in color as well as is experiencing dizziness, headache, and nausea.

Had a CBC blood work came back normal.

Related Topics: Chest, Sinus, Nausea, Cough, Antibiotic

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

It could be viral instead of bacterial. Were his symptoms different when he had the Xray? If it was bacterrial generally the Complete blood count would show high White blood cells .Has he had any cultures taken?

Marieh9

A.

I would go back to the the doctor and make sure that it is not bacterial. They can do a respiratory culture. If it is viral it wil pass. If it bacterial it could be resistant to the antibiotic prescribed.

Marieh9

A.
If your husband has a fever, I am surprised that his blood work came back nominal.  I would expect to see evidence of inflammation or elevated white blood cell counts.  He might be dealing with a viral form of bronchitis.

I went through something similar earlier this summer.  I had a wet cough that got worse at night, for over six weeks.  If something like this is the case for your husband, then a long-lasting bronchitis that isn't responding to antibiotics may need other treatment.  My family doctor prescribed a course of Prednizone to reduce the background of inflammation in my viral bronchitis and allow my system to throw off the bug itself.  Your husband may wish to talk with his physician about whether a similar approach is appropriate for him as an individual.

Note:  although I am well read on some areas of chronic pain literature, I am not a physician.
Regards

Red Lawhern, Ph.D.