Q.

Can nasal polyps cause vertigo?

I have been diagnosed with BPV and then went for an MRI because the symptoms were not going away completely.  I have facial pain, blurred vision at times,and I get dizzy easily.  The MRI of my brain and my nasal cavities revealed  no brain abnormalities but nasal polyps were found.  I have been fully evaluated for heart related reasons for dizziness and everything was normal.  I wanted to know if the annoying and disorienting vertigo could be related to the polyps.  Thank you

Related Topics: Polyp, Brain, Heart, Vertigo, Dizziness

A.
No, nasal polyps are inflammatory growths, often related to allergies. I have never heard that they can cause vertigo. This was most likely an incidental findings since you apparently were not having any problems. Allergies can be related to vertigo in some cases, but so can a hundred other things. I am pleased that you are getting a good diagnostic work-up, since vertigo is can be very difficult to evaluate.