Q.

Medical Editor, WebMD
A.

The kidneys usually don't spill glucose (sugar) in the urine unless you have high blood sugar at a level of 200 mg/dL or higher.  The American Diabetic Associaiton (ADA) does not recommend that people with diabetes do routine urine glucose testing if you are able to do fingerstick blood glucose testing.

Here is a link to an article from the ADA - one of the tips discusses urine glucose testing.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/tips/tips-search-results.html?tip_category=blood-glucose-control&page=3#should-i-test-my-urine-for.html

Take Care