Q.

Why do I have insane cravings for sweets?

I am pretty healthy - 5'3" and 123 lbs. in the morning (20 yrs old). I eat well and exercise 40 min a day, but there is one problem. I have these insane cravings for sweets, especially dark chocolate. It's like if I don't get at least some chocolate a day, I will go insane. It's all that I can think about and I will go out of my way to get this chocolate. I know that if I could control them I could tone up my thighs some more.

Medical Editor, WebMD
A.

That's great that you have a healthy diet and exercise regularly.  You are not alone in your craving for sweets --  Americans have an average daily intake of sugar is about 22 teaspoons daily - this adds up to 355 calories.

Here's a link to an article called "The Truth About Sugar"  that I think you will find interesting.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-effects-of-sugar

As discussed in the article,  one key to a healthy diet is moderation.  Trying to stick to eating the equivalent one square of dark chocolate a day may help.

Take care