Q.

How can i know if my cold/flu has become bacterial? so i can take a ampicillin?

I am aware that ampicillin does nothing if my cold/flu is a virus, but i have been sick for a week now and although my body isn't sore/weak anymore i still cough up alot of mucus, and coughing hurts my chest a bit and i have a sore throat, also runny nose with alot of mucus as well.

Related Topics: Chest, Cough, Coldness, Mucus, Runny Nose

A.

It would not be wise to self-diagnose yourself as having a secondary bacterial infection from your recent viral illness, and self-prescribed ampicillin. It would be advisable for you to be properly examined and diagnosed first by a medical professional. Ampicillin is not used very much any more, so it is unlikely that even if you did have a bacterial infection, this would not be the antibiotic of choice.

Signs of secondary bacterial infection, such as pneumonia, as a result of a respiratory virus would be a high fever, a worsening cough with expectoration of dark phlegm, chest discomfort, rapid respiration, and lethargy.  A mild sore throat or runny nose does not necessarily indicate a need for ampicillin.

A.
Cold and Flu are viral infections. Colds tend to run their course in 7 - 10 days, but it can take a little longer. Flu generally is at its worst for the first 3 or 4 days, but can take up to two weeks to ease up completely. Please click into the linked information and read about it.

If more than 10 days go by and you still see no relief or your symptoms are getting worse, then you should call your doctor. He or she may want to see you in their office again or try another form of treatment.

If you're considering taking antibiotics that were prescribed for something else, please don't do that without consulting your doctor.

We hope you feel better soon!

The WebMD Answers Staff

A.