Q.

how to tell if you have fractured bone in hand?

I went to ER for x-rays after my hand was crushed in the rollers of an electric fence.  They said nothing was broken, my hand is swollen and bruised and the bone for my second finger in my hand hurts to touch and feels like there is a rubber band going from my second finger down into my hand, my knuckle also feels like its popping in and out when I bend my finger.  Was just wondering if maybe a fracture was missed and if I should ask for another x-ray?  this happend thurs 11-15-12.  3 days ago

Related Topics: Bruise, Fracture, Finger, Hand, X-ray

A.

A crush injury can cause some considerable soft-tissue damage and that may not be evident on a plain x-ray, or even on an examination. Yes, fractures can be missed by the person reading them and the radiologist, so repeat x-rays are often ordered. However, if your injury was severe and you are having that array of symptoms, seeing an orthopedist or a hand-specialist may be a logical next step.

At has only been three days, so things may still settle down with cold compresses and anti-inflammatory medications, but there is nothing inappropriate in arranging an orthopedic consultation for next week.