Q.

I have a very high metabolism and I can't gain weight. How can I lower my metabolism while exercising more?

I'm 20 years old, 6' tall, and weigh only about 150-155. I'm also not very active. I want to start running and lifting weights but it's tough for me to gain muscle because I have a very hard time putting on weight. What can I do to lower my metabolism enough to start putting on weight and getting bigger? I also don't eat very well but tend to eat a descent amount of protein every day.

Related Topics: Muscle, Height, Weight, Exercise, Running

A.

The goal should not be to lower your metabolism, but to start feeding yourself better and reap the benefits of activity, which can result in muscle gain.  It doesn't matter if you get adequate protein if you are missing out on other important, nonprotein calories and nutrients.  That's because inadequate carbohydrate and fat intake (total calories) means protein is used for energy instead of for muscle formation.  Exercising more can increase your appetite and weight training can gradually help you put on muscle.  It may take time to see results but because muscle weighs more than fat, you are likely to gain weight.  Here are some tips:

• Eat regular meals and snacks every day.  Try to plan your meals ahead of time and have items you can put together for quick and healthy meals. Gradually build a list of balanced meals you can make for yourself.
  • Include 3-5 food groups at meals including a whole grain, lean protein, fruits, vegetables, dairy and healthy fats. For example, in the morning you might have a big bowl of oatmeal topped with fruit and nuts and a side boiled egg.
  • Include 2-3 food groups at snack time which may consist of cheese and whole grain crackers or an apple with peanut butter or half a meat sandwich with veggie sticks.
  • Gradually increase exercise to include cardiovascular exercise and resistance training. For tips on how to exercise to build muscle, see this article.

What you may discover during this process is how much better you feel by moving more and eating better.  You won't regret starting on a healthier road!

Fitness
A.
I here this a great deal at the school I teach at. If you really want to gain some weight you need to develop a comprehensive nutrition and exercise plan.

First, keep a food diary for three days. Are you really eating as much as you think? When counseling athletes at school I generally recommend they consume 1.8-2.0 grams of protein a day per kilogram of body weight. So for you at 150 lbs = 68 kilograms that would put your protein needs in the range of 122 -136 grams a day.

Now that you know what your eating and how much protein you need. Develop an eating plan. Here's an example:

Breakfast
1 large egg scrambled
1 cup old fashioned oat with one tablespoon honey
1 banana
1 cup skim milk

Protein in meal = 20 grams

Lunch
2 grilled chicken breasts (8 ounces)
2 cups of veggies (broccoli, green beans, califlower)
1 apple
1 serving greek yogurt

Protein in meal = 69 grams

Dinner
1 servings baked pork tenderloin (3 ounces) remove all fat
2 cups of veggies
1 banana
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese

Protein in meal = 38 grams

Snacks
1 apple with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (protein: 7 grams)
1/4 cup sunflower seed, string cheese, fruit (protein: 12 grams)

Total Protein for the day = 147 grams

Notice there's no junk food (chips, soft drinks, etc) or any expensive supplements just good solid nutritional foods.

Regarding exercise, the best way to add weight is by adding muscle. To do this you need a well thought out strength training plan. Follow the link pasted below to find a great beginners workout on webMD

http://men.webmd.com/workout-tips

As you advance you can find some additional info here

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/6-tips-for-successful-weight-lifting-workouts

http://men.webmd.com/guide/strength-training-program-men

Like I said earlier the key to healthy weight gain is with a comprehensive nutrition and exercise plan both of which you can find here at webMD. To be on the safe side, be sure to check with your physician before starting.

A.

I had an extremely high metabolic rate and was an athlete competing in martial arts. I had to gain weight to compete with stronger opponents in a heavier weight class. Let's keep it simple, 3 key elements will allow you to gain muscle mass/weight.

1.  Rest - Get two days/week of rest to recover from training. You grow when you're resting. You can split up the 2 days or have it simultaneously. Take it easy on those days and don't do anything too physical.

2.  Train - Lift heavy weights with low reps for 1 1/2 hour and then do another 30 min of plyometrics. Next day, do it in reverse. Repeat this cycle throughout the week. If you're an athlete, you'll need to extend training time up to 3 hrs in one day. When running, do sprints. Do high impact, high intensity exericises. Do not perform long-distance, endurance training. If you have to run, don't go over 3 miles.

3.  Eat - Consume a lot of carbs from veggies and fruits. 3/4 of your meal should be carbs to give you energy and pack on necessary fat. 1/4 of your meal should be protein to build muscle. Contrary to popular beliefs, you need plenty of fat storage in order for the body to be healthy and build muscle. Consuming protein volume based on your body weight is not accurate for everyone, some bodies will not utilize extra protein. You want that carb for energy to push harder and grow bigger/stronger. Eat pasta, rice, and potatos with every meal. You will bulk up in size/strength, adding 10 lbs of muscle like me within a month. If you get too bulky, and need to trim down to make weight for athletic competition, then reverse the diet, eat more protein and less carbs. Always drink a ton of water!

Find people with similar goals to train with! It's not just about building your body, it's also about building a community. Good luck!