Q.

only sympton can't hear anything right ear. ER said middle ear infection. Prescr- anti & ear drop. 3 days no improvement

5 days ago my right ear sounded muffled. Thought it need to pop - tried yawning techniques & holding my nose - NO Improvement.

Only symptom is hearing loss in right ear. No pain or pus.

3 days ago I went to ER they said it was a middle ear infection prescribed antibiotic & ear drops.

I have been taking meds. as prescribed and NO improvement - if anything I feel more deaf.

Is this normal or was I misdiagnosed?
should I go back?

Thanks in advance!

A.

You do need to be re-examined, but not at the ER. You should try and see an ENT specialist or at least, a primary care provider in their office. The ER is really not the right place to properly diagnose and manage these things. While the ER is great when you have life-threatening, true emergency, things like ear infections (or possible ear infections) are often triaged low in priority, and quickly "treated and streeted". I don't know if you were misdiagnosed or not, but have seen numerous misdiagnoses come from those quick ER examinations.

Yes, you could have been misdiagnosed, or improperly treated. Since eardrops are NOT the treatment for middle ear infections (unless you have an eardrum rupture or have tubes), I am suspicious when I see BOTH an oral and an eardrop prescribed. I call this "shotgun treatment". The antibiotic may not have been proper or the correct dose, or not needed at all (if you really didn't have a middle ear infection).  You could have an Eustachian tube problem, in which case, the antibiotic or ear drop would not help.

Skip the ER. Go directly an ENT if you can, or at least, see a primary care medical provider who will spend more time with you and get to the bottom of this ear issue.

A.

Yes go to ENT. Sometimes I get what sounds like the same thing. The ENT does something with tubes and I drink some water and say KKKKK. Sounds like witch dr. stuff eh? But it works and I think it kind of blows fluid out of the inner ear. The e.tube in my ear is very narrow, so they say, and does block up at times. Sometimes chewing hard gum like bubble will clear it temporarily.  See the ENT, it is so worth it.

A.
My husband lost the  hearing in his right ear over the course of 2  hours last February. We have since learned that he should have had treatment with prednisone immediately and he might have had the chance to save his hearing. This is a sensorineural loss and it must be treated as a medical emergency. Insist on being treated immediately you have your hearing to lose.

A.
Thanks Rod for your reply.  At first I did try to contact my Primary but earliest I could get an appointment would be February. In order to see a Specialist I would need a referral and my insurance does not cover urgent care centers either. That is why I ended up going to the ER. I'm going out of state tonight and wouldn't be able to do anything till I get back in over a week. I'm just concerned and the ER would be my only option at this point.