Q.

Can I stop taking Flomax once I have passed the kidney stone?

I am a generally healthy 52 year old female. Last week I was diagnosed with a 5mm kidney stone and was prescribed Flomax to help pass the stone. I passed it about three days later and now I am wondering if I can stop taking Flomax. The urologist said I would have to take it for a month then have a follow up ultrasound to make sure I don't have hydronephrosis. I find the side effects I'm experiencing (headaches, stuffy nose and nose bleed) very annoying.

WebMD
A.

I definitely would not stop taking the Fosamax without first talking to your doctor. You don't want to risk having more problems with kidney stones. The side effects you list are not commonly associated with Fosamax. Of course everyone is different and it's possible that they're associated with the medicine but it could also be something else. There are also other medications similiar to Fosamax that the doctor may want to try if it seems like the side effects are due to the medicine.