Q.

I have diabetes and am going to have knee replacement surgery, what do I need to know and what can I expect

I have type 2 diabetes.  I am going to have knee replacement surgery in January.  While my A1C is 6.0,my daily sugar levels are all over the place.  So much so that my Dr. has had to increase my insulin.  I take Lantus, 5 units in the morning and 55 units at suppertime, and 7 units of Novolog at suppertime. What do I need to know about this surgery and what can I expect from my diabetes?  Thank you. 

A.
You should have a pre-op appointment with your surgeon's nurse (or physician assistant) and/or a nurse at the facility where your knee replacement will occur. These nurses should answer all your questions about pre-operative medication regimens, whether or not to take Lantus the day of your surgery, when to stop eating before surgery, and so on.

In general, people with blood sugar problems can experience longer healing times. I'd recommend asking your surgeon (or his/her nurse or physician assistant) what to expect, in terms of possible problems healing. Because your A1C is good, you may not experience any problems, at all. Be sure to follow all your surgeon's printed instructions for post-op care of the wound.

I suggest you write down all your questions for the pre-op appointment. Be sure you receive printed instructions for before and after the surgery. If any of your questions aren't answered in advance, feel free to call your surgeon's office for clarification.

Hope this helps!