Q.

Is it normal for a toddler to hide things

Related Topics: Toddler

A.
Toddlers can have a lot of odd behavior, so I guess that hiding things could be one of them. Toddlers get into all types of mischief since they readily explore their expanding environment. They think nothing of taking a steak knife out of the dishwasher and run down the hall with it. When they are caught and disarmed, they will collapse to the floor in a tantrum because you took their knife.

Possession is important to toddlers, so they may hide things so they can keep it for themselves. It is not unusual for them to take car keys and throw them behind the couch, or worse, flush them down the toilet.

Correct the toddler gently, but firmly. Tell them about "your" things and his/her things. Focus on the behavior but not the child. For instance, "Hiding Mommy's keys was a bad thing. Good boys (or girls) do not do these things, and you are a good boy (or girl)".

These odd behaviors tend to be very temporary so hang in there.