Q.

What can cause sharp,stabbing transient eye pain

there is't any visable s/sx of infection noted.And will occur in both eyes but only 1 at a time.

Related Topics: Eyes, Pain

A.
I have had the same problem for approx 2 months. Eye exam came back clear. I did find out i am far sighted, and was prescribed reading glasses. My eye pains are accompanied by headaches, mainly to the left side of my head. (i only sleep on my left side, so maybe the weight of my head affects the relevant nerves to my temple and eye)??...

I was worried about optic neuritis (because it is often a classic symptom of multiple sclerosis, and quite a few people tend to go on and develop MS within 10 yrs of having their first bout of ON - classic symptoms of ON, loss of vision, colour perception changes, inflamed back of eye upon eye examination) - last week i had a head (brain) and spinal MRI, all of which came back clear. So eye nerves not involved. I was so worked up about possibility of MS. But as soon as it was all clear, most of my symptoms went away. Eye pain has greatly diminished too.

Based on GPs advice, although he cant say definitively what is causing this pain, it could be:

dehydration (are you drinking enough water, lower your caffeine/alcohol intake as they are diuretics),

stress (i am going through an incredibly stressful period, so am accepting it could very well be a psychosomatic symptom);

migraine and/or ice pick headaches (cause the stabbing eye pains),

sinuses (have you tried sinus tablets/sprays to see if that helps?)

eye strain (so very common, esp if you work on a computer for many hours at a time).

Eye pain could also be a sign of arthritis (esp rheumatoid arthritis) - do you have any other aches and pains. Have a full blood count, and ask to check your antibodies to rhuematoid arthritis and lupus.

It's probably something benign causing the pains. But they are irritating i know! For me, ive put it down to dehydration, eye strain (currently studying) and stress - i find when i chill out and relax, my symptoms diminish if not completely disappear. Hopefully your symptoms have imporved since your post.

A.
The thing that came to my mind right away was Optic Neuritis, as I had this condition last year in both eyes. If your eyes hurt when your moving them go and see your local eye Dr and they will be able to confirm this, by having a look at the back of your eye, and it will be obvious if it is Optic Neuritis. Then the next step is to see  a Neuro eye Doctor, who may treat the infection with IV steroids to help bring the inflammation down quicker and hopefully your eyesight can be saved. But remember I am not saying you have this , it is just a suggestion and you will have to see a real Dr to rule this out

Hope this helps.