Q.

I'm having severe constant stabbing pain in the top of my left shoulder. Hurts when I breathe. What's going on?

Taking a deep breath in or a shallow breath, it hurts either way. It does not extend into my arm, nor up my neck.The pain does not go down into my back either.  I have some gallbladder trouble and wondered if this might be a contributing factor. Taking an OTC pain med, i.e. Advil, does not help this pain go away.It wears off with time, but sometimes this lasts for days. 

Related Topics: Arm, Gallbladder, Neck, Shoulder, Pain

A.
I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds very unpleasant!

A number of things could be going on here, but it's not likely your gallbladder is involved. The gallbladder is located on the right side of the body, near the bottom of your rib cage. It's doubtful the gallbladder could refer any pain to the left shoulder.

I can think of any number of reasons you'd be having this pain, from a slight fracture to a rotator cuff injury to an aggravated bursa. The only way to find out what's going on is to see a medical professional for an examination and possibly other testing, like an X-ray.

I'd suggest you make an appointment with your primary care provider (PCP) to have this evaluated. It would be helpful to evaluate it when it's actually flaring up, but that might be impossible to time. Even if you're not having a pain episode, your PCP might be able to come to some conclusion as to the cause of this pain and get you started on treatment.

Best of luck to you!

A.

The main symptom of pleurisy is pain in the chest. This pain often occurs when you take a deep breath in or out, or cough. Some people feel the pain in the shoulder.Deep breathing, coughing, and chest movement makes the pain worse.Pleurisy can cause fluid to collect inside the chest cavity. This can make breathing difficult and may cause the following symptoms:

Bluish skin color (cyanosis)

Coughing

Shortness of breath

Rapid breathing (tachypnea)

Pleurisy may develop when you have lung inflammation due to infections such as pneumonia or tuberculosis. This inflammation also causes the sharp chest pain of pleurisy.It may also occur with:

Asbestos-related disease

Certain cancers

Chest trauma

Pulmonary embolus

Rheumatoid arthritis

Lupus

COPIED FROM:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002347

A.

When I have my pains, it is in the middle of my back. It doesn't start on the right or left. It starts where my spine is and moves around to the front to where it hurts to breathe and move. The only thing that helps  me are two bags of ice, for my back and just under my ribcage, and either 2 alieve's or 2 midol's. I had to checked out and was hooked up to a machine and everything. They said it was my breathing, but I can't remember if that was exactly the case. I lost 41 pounds but I could still feel the start of it but, I would take medicine before it could go any further.