are urinary tract infections contagious

My boyfriend has a kidney stone and had a lithotripsy done to break it up. They inserted a stent and it has been there for a few months. During which we had sex and he was given an rx for a u.t.i., but didn't take it. I want to see if he does have a u.t.i. could it be contagious or can it cause any other complications for me?

No, urinary tract infections are not contagious. A person with a bacterial infection in their urinary tract could indeed transfer these bacteria to a vagina during sexual intercourse, but it would be highly unlikely for the exposed person to get a urinary tract infection for this alone. With that said, you can develop a urinary tract infection, on your own, from sexual activity. As a matter of fact, this is listed as one of the most common causes. In most cases, it your own bacteria -- bacteria from your colon and rectal area -- that become contaminated or colonized in your vaginal area, that gets transferred into your urethra/bladder during sexual activity.