Q.

Are these symptoms indicative of dehydration?

Dark, foul smelling urine, extreme thirst, itchy skin, hemoglobin of 6.8, confusion, hard stools.

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
The answer is: Yes and no.

Some of your symptoms could be indicative of dehydation, namely:
  • Dark colored urine
  • Extreme thirst
  • Itchy skin
  • Hard stools
  • Confusion

But dehydration is not the only condition that could cause these symptoms. I hope you're following up with a medical professional about these symptoms to determine the underlying cause.

Regarding your "hemoglobin" results. I wonder if you're referring to the actual hemoglobin test, or if you're referring to the "hemoglobin A1C" test. These are two entirely different things.

Basically, a hemoglobin test measures your red blood cell count. A result of 6.8 would be quite low for either a woman or a man. In fact, that result would put you in the "anemic" category, and it would require medical treatment.

On the other hand, a hemoglobin A1C test provides a snapshot of your blood sugar control over the preceding three months. A result of 6.8 would be considered within the desirable range for someone with diabetes. It would be considered outside the normal range for someone without diagnosed diabetes.

I would suggest you make an appointment with your primary care provider (PCP) to review your symptoms, get a diagnosis, and come up with a treatment plan.

Best to you!